Civil Compromise

For those who have committed criminal offenses, involving vandalism, hit & run, and certain theft cases, a civil compromise may be available to the accused.   In these types of cases, if the alleged victim is compensated for their loss(es) and otherwise agree that they do not desire further criminal prosecution of the case, a judge can order that the case be dismissed.  The extraordinary aspect of a civil compromise is that the judge’s order to dismiss can be made over the objection of the prosecutor.